Sexual Misconduct Interactive Resource Guide

For Students

Reporting to the Police

Depending on where the incident occurs, the Albemarle County Police or City of Charlottesville Police investigate all reports of sexual violence in Charlottesville, including on-Grounds at UVA. 

The Student Safety & Support Team (SS&ST) or a UPD officer can assist you in reporting to the Albemarle County Police or Charlottesville City Police.

Reach out to SS&ST and/or UPD:
  • UPD can be reached at (434) 924-7166 24/7. Ben Rexrode is the Victim/Witness Assistance Program Sergeant at UPD and can assist you in filing a police report.
  • The Dean on Call can be reached Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm at (434) 924-7133. After hours, you can reach the Dean on Call by calling UPD at (434) 924-7166 and asking them to refer you to the Dean on Call.
    • If the case did not happen in Charlottesville, SS&ST or UPD can connect you with the local police where the incident occurred and work with you to help file a report with the appropriate law enforcement unit.
Reach out to local law enforcement directly:

You also can report directly to the Albemarle County Police or City of Charlottesville Police if you do not want to involve UVA.

  • Call 911 for emergencies, and they will direct you to the appropriate law enforcement unit.
  • Call the Albemarle County Police at (434) 977-9041.
  • Call the City of Charlottesville Police at (434) 970-3280.

Once the appropriate law enforcement unit is contacted, they will work to investigate your assault and collect evidence. They will share information with the Commonwealth Attorney's office, who then determines whether the case is prosecuted. The police and Commonwealth Attorney's office will take your wishes into account, but ultimately they determine whether an arrest is made and charges are pursued. 

SS&ST and off-Grounds advocates are available to assist you throughout the criminal justice process.